Pancake day recipe: Turmeric & vanilla pancakes with agave syrup & lemon juice
These pancakes are quick to make and really delicious. They are vegan and dairy-free (not that you’d know). Note: These pancakes must be served with their agave syrup & lemon juice topping, as they complete this golden stack perfectly.
Make 9 – 10 pancakes
1 cup of atta (chapatti flour, or a mixture of 2/3 wholemeal and 1/3 plain white flour)
1/8 cup golden caster sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
1 cup coconut almond milk (or milk of choice)
1 vanilla pod
Optional: a handful of flaked almonds
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Put the milk into a saucepan. Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds and vanilla pod to the saucepan.
3. Gently warm through the milk and vanilla over a low heat for 3 – 4 minutes (do not boil, just warm through).
4. Remove the vanilla pod from the milk, then add the milk and vanilla seeds to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly. The mix will froth a little when first combined, but this is normal.
5. Once the wet and dry ingredients have been combined, the pancakes are ready to be cooked.
6. Heat a pancake pan over a medium heat. Brush the pan with a little sunflower oil, and ladle a spoonful of the pancake batter onto the pan (1 ladle full of batter will make one pancake).
7. When you can see a lot of bubbles on top of the pancake (this should take a couple of minutes), they are ready to flip. Cook the second side for a couple of minutes. These pancakes will appear really dark brown when cooked, and will lighten in colour once off the heat.
8. Repeat the above process till you have cooked all the batter.
9. Serve the pancakes drizzled with agave syrup and lots of lemon juice. you can also toast some flaked almonds in a little agave syrup to add a crunchy texture.