Industry professionals who have eaten dishes made from The Pure Punjabi Athlete’s Meal Kit Box…
What is the Athlete’s Protein Meal Kit Box?
It is a kit box, containing all the dried ingredients, and hand blended spices you need to make authentic, naturally healthy, home style North Indian food. You simply add the fresh ingredients when you are ready to cook.
Do I have to be an Athlete in order to use this?
No, not at all. The Pure Punjabi Athlete’s Protein Meal Kit Box was designed to be used by the health-conscious cook, who wants delicious food, that is also healthy and caters for the addtioion of high-protein fresh ingredients.
Our customers range from professional athletes and celebrity personal trainers, to busy working professionals who are looking for a delicious and much healthier alternative to their favourite (but greasy and unhealthy) curry takeaway.
What makes the dishes in this Meal Kit Box healthy – isn’t Indian food really fattening?
The meal sachets in this Meal Kit Box, all contain traditional, home-style North Indian dishes. Contrary to popular belief, Indian food is naturally very healthy. Unlike takeaway and restaurant style Indian food, traditional cookery does not use heavy cream or vast quantities of oil / butter / ghee for flavour.
Our depth of flavour comes from only ever using whole spices to create our family-recipe spice blends. This matters because:
- By grinding from whole spices, we control the consistency of the grind, and thereby preserving the essential oils (essential oils = flavour)
- There have been many reports of traces of chalk and other fillers in pre-ground spices. We only use whole spices, before grinding them in-house, giving us 100% purity and control over the quality of our spice blends.
- We can control the ratio of spices…many spices (such as green and black cardamom) have increased significantly in price over the last few years. This has meant that many supermarket and mass-produced masalas (spice blends) have changed their recipes and lowered the quantity of the more expensive spices and increased the quantity of the bitter spices (like peppercorn) to keep the price of the product low. Our spice blends are family recipes, from Jullunder, Punjab, India. These have been passed through our family for generations. We never have, and never will, change our spice blend recipes.
Why don’t the fresh items come in the box?
Our Meal Kit Boxes only contain the spices blends and dried ingredients. We leave out the fresh items on purpose, here’s why…
1. Prior to launching our meal kits, we ourselves had a meal box service, containing all fresh ingredients. We found it a burden when the box arrived faster than we could process what we had to cook, and we couldn’t cook the dish that night because life got in the way. Resulting in the fresh items going off and us having to throw them away = massive food waste. Our meal prep sachets are here to contribute positively to your life and to the wider community – not negatively.
2. As a keen cook and a foodie, it’s off-putting when someone else picks your vegetables, or meat on your behalf. You want to choose them yourself. Many of our customer also grow their own vegetables, like to support their local producers.
3. The very nature of being someone who’s interested in cooking means that you want some autonomy on what dishes you cook each evening. By putting in the perishable items, it removes your prerogative as the cook, to decide what you’re having for dinner that evening, and makes you a slave to the ‘use by’ dates on your meat, dairy and veg.
All you do is get your fresh items when you’re ready to cook, just like this…
What do the finished dishes taste like?
Adam Kiani, Founder & Director, PT Academy
Kris Gethin, celebrity trainer, best selling author & CEO Kaged Muscle Supplements
Andy Maher, Men’s Physique Athlete & Fulfil Nutrition Ambassador
Shredded Singh, Nutritionist & vegetarian athlete
You get 2 jars of paste:
- Our double Great Taste Award winning Tandoori Masala (contains 24 individual portions)
- our Tikka Paste (contains 16 individual portions)
Each meal sachet makes enough for 4 portions. Meal sachet wise, you get…
- Chicken Biriyani
- Mango Chicken
- Punjabi Chicken
- Lamb Biriyani
- Lamb Kebabs
- Masoor di Dhal
- Chilli Paneer
- Aloo Gobi
- Stuffed Aubergines
So, in total there are 84 portions in this meal kit box. That works out at 83p per portion.
You receive e-instructions for the meal sachets. These tell you:
- How long prep and cooking takes
- The ingredients list
- The step-by-step method instructions
- What do to if you only want to make 1 or 2 portions at a time
You receive a link to recipe ideas for the Tandoori Masla (paste) and the Tikka Paste, so you have plenty of ideas.
This will be fantastic for your meal prep.
The average cook time for the meal sachets is 20 – 25 minutes.
At the beginning of your instructions, we have listed sachets that are great for cooking at the same time, because they need some of the same ingredients. Making efficient use of your time.
All the meal sachets in this Meal Kit Box make enough for 4 portions, and the finished dishes freeze perfectly. Keeping you on track with your meal prep ad healthy eating goals.
Our meal prep boxes are really popular with travellers and sports professionals, who need to be able to take the basis of a meal with them when they are away, so that they can have quality meals, that are suitcase-friendly and don’t need to be stored in a fridge as they travel. Then, when they arrive at their destination, they just pick up some fresh veg and/or meat, and get cooking.
Many of our customers actually have The Pure Punjabi Athlete’s Protein Meal Kit Box specifically for working away – so they can stay on track with their healthy eating and avoid spending a lot of money on expensive, unsatisfying and unhealthy takeaway and restaurant food.
Don’t forget that we only include the spices and dried ingredients, so the meal sachets have a 12 month ‘best before’ date, as does the Tandoori Masala. The Tikka Paste is our newest paste and so currently has a 6 month ‘best before’ date.
Along with your method instructions, you also receive all the nutrition information for each of the dishes. This includes:
- calorie content
- protein content
- carbohydrate content
- fat content
- vitamin & mineral readings
Yes, absolutely.We grind all our spices from whole, in-house. Meaning we have 100% certainty that there are no fillers or anti-caking agents in our spice blends – meaning no gluten or wheat, whatsoever! Simply add a note to your order to tell us that you are gluten-free and we’ll make your box up with all our healthy meal sachets and pastes that are naturally free from gluten.
Yes, absolutely.We grind all our spices from whole, in-house. Meaning we have 100% certainty that there are no fillers or anti-caking agents in our spice blends, and we do not use milk powder or any milk derivatives in any of our products. The only difference for you is that you use sunflower oil when cooking your meal sachets (instead of using ghee). Taste is not compromised whatsoever. Safia, co-director of Pure Punjabi and Head of Product Development, is allergic to milk, so rest assured, we do not release any products that are ‘free from’ if it impairs taste in any way.
Yes, absolutely. We are often approached by vegetarians and vegans at events, as many of our traditional dishes happen to naturally be vegan. We grind all our spices from whole, in-house. Meaning we have 100% certainty that there are no fillers, anti-caking agents or animal derivatives in our spice blends. Simply add a note to your order to tell us that you are vegan and we’ll make your box up with all our healthy meal sachets and pastes that are naturally plant-based.